With its creamy texture and earthy flavor,Pumpkin can be used for more than just dessert and allows for much in the way of savory dishes. While it may seem unorthodox, a pumpkin pasta sauce is a great alternative to the traditional tomato sauce and just as satisfying.
Simple and elegant, Pumpkin Pasta Sauce is quick and easy to make with these ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- one (1) tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic or 2 fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped or minced
- 2 cups of cream (light or heavy cream will work)
- 1 cup of pureed fresh pumpkin (see below)
- 3-4 ounces of cubed room temperature Neufchatel cheese
- 1 teaspoon of savory, dried rosemary, or dried sage
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste For More : Delicious Sauce Recipes
- To make fresh pumpkin puree, first cut the pumpkin into pieces, being careful to remove the seeds. Place the pumpkin pieces on a baking sheet (covered in parchment paper for less mess) and bake at 375 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Remove the skin and puree in a blender or food processor, adding water for moisture if needed.
- For the sauce, begin by making a roux – melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once heated, add the flour and stir until golden. Slowly whisk in cream, making sure to dissolve any flour lumps. Increase the heat to medium to medium-high, consistently whisking until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Turn heat to low and add all other ingredients, stirring until the Neufchatel cheese is completely melted into the sauce. Add more salt and pepper if desired.
The sauce will be creamy and delicious and, served over your favorite pasta, will make for a hearty and filling meal! Garnish with some parsley and a little bit of your favorite grated or shredded Italian cheese like Romano, Parmesan, or Asiago. Boun appetito!